[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Reflection Clan • View topic - How to Play those Videos
Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: How to Play those Videos
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:27 am 
Council Member

CCCP : http://www.cccp-project.net/

I Stole this from http://www.bleachexile.com/ forum. And Even though we all would just say "Use VLC Player" I think having the right codecs would be nice too for your normal players.

Q: When I play my file, nothing happens! Whats wrong?
You don't have the correct codecs installed, so you will have to install them before you can watch it. Since it is harder to figure out exactly which codecs you need, I recommend CCCP, explained at the bottom of the post.

Q: When I play my file, I only get audio but no video. Whats wrong?

You don't have the correct video codec installed, so you will have to install it before you watching it. Since it is harder to figure out exactly which codec you need, I recommend CCCP, explained at the bottom of the post.

Q: When I play my file, I only get video but no audio. Whats wrong?
Again, you don't have the correct audio codec installed, so you will have to install it before you watching it. Since it is harder to figure out exactly which codec you need, I recommend CCCP, explained at the bottom of the post.

Q: When I play my file, the video or sound is really messed up and doesn't play right. Whats wrong?
This is generally caused by overlapping codecs, clashing codecs, having two versions of a codec installed, etc etc etc. Go to the CCCP's website and download the nifty tool called Insurgent. Once you've downloaded it, run it (no install needed). It should give you a list of codecs and filters installed. Look (carefully) through the list to find duplicates and other issues, and uninstall them.

Q: How do I determine what codec a file uses?
The quickest way I've found is to go to the CCCP's website and download the nifty tool called Insurgent. Once you've downloaded it, run it (no install needed). Under the Tools drop down list, you should see Media Information. Just find your file and open it, and you will get a nice list of what you need to play that file.

Alternatively, you can right-click on the file and select Properties. Click on the Summary Tab. From there it should give you some basic, important information.

Q: When I run video, there are no subtitles! Help!
Sometime codecs such as OGM and MKV allow you to turn subtitles on and off and even multiple languages. To turn on subtitles in Media Player Classic, look under the Navigate option and then go to Subtitle Language and choose the appropriate choice.

Some file types, such as AVI, do not support this. If you cannot turn on subtitles, then you have probably downloaded the raw footage.

Q: When I run video, the subtitles are completely messed up!
This is usally because of a fault of the publisher. Check if they rerelease that video. Short of telling you to install the CCCP and checking for codec clashing, I really can't tell you exactly what causes thes.

Q: The subtitles don't match the audio properly.

This is the fault of the subber and they have done a poor job and checking their work. You can't really fix this. Sometimes, but rarely, the subs are in an external file. If you feel spunk enough, you can go through here and fix the time every now and then to get it back on track.

Q: What is a codec?
A codec is a method of compressioning and decompressing multimedia data to allow the user to minimize potentially large files. The main goal is obviously to keep a clear and crisp video and audio experience and file size down. Anime is usally sent with a codec container, that contains both a video codec and audio codec.

Here are the most common codecs each with their own advatanges and disadvantages:
AVI - Audio Video Interleave. Most common file type for a good balance of audio and video quality.
MOV - Quicktime Movie. Developed by Apple, these work fairly well for keeping a good video and audio quality for a smaller file size.
RMVB - Real Media video. Also very good for video and audio to file size compression, but may people shy away from it because of RealMedia's notorious taking over of your computer (their software, not the videos).
MKV - Matroska video and audio. These are usually bigger than the usual anime video (by about 100 - 200 mb) but the quality is usually much, much greater.
OGG/OGM - Audio and video OGG codecs. Usually used for the highest quality audio and video formats, but can be very large.
MPEG - Older windows standard was MPEG2. However, avi seems to be giving way to MPEG4. Fair quality to size ratio.
DivX - This is becoming more and more mainstream for internet users because it compress longer clips (and larger files) while keeping a very good quality ratio. Stage6 is pushing this codec into the light.
FLV - Flash Video file. The best size to quality ratio for much smaller files. This is what you watch YouTube videos with!

It is important to know that the more codecs installed on your computer, in general, the more chances there are for conflicts and errors and in general, a bad time. Try and minimize the number of codec packs you install.

Q: I'm so confused! What should I install, what should I not install!? (AKA, a CCCP Praise)
Don't worry, this is one of the hardest parts of the entire anime scene. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT install individual codecs from various sources. The main reason for this is that you often get codecs clashing, and thus, you won't be able to watch your precious anime.

The best choice in my opinion is the Combined Community Codec Pack. This pack started for the specific reason of collecting the most up-to-date codecs to allow people to watch anime without hassle, but has expanded to so much more. Check out their Wikipedia page for a lot more information. The only issue is that they don't have the RealMedia and QuickTime codecs, I'm guessing because they want to avoid legal actions. To get around this, install the CCCP and then install RealMedia Alternative and QuickTime Alternative. With just these installed, you can watch basically every media format known to man.

When installing CCCP, I also recommend NOT installing the Zoom Player and just sticking to the Media Player Classic. Zoom Player is just a piece of crap. Also, when setting it up, disable the Task Tray icons for the Haali Media Splitter. That stops the annoying arrow in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.

CCCP : http://www.cccp-project.net/

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]